photo header8.png

2/19/13

La Dolce Vita


Best Blogger Tips
wearing: lace dress from mongkok, jeffrey campbell black suede litas, diy d&g inspired hairband and embellished clutch. photos by charmaine

This outfit has been in the works for a while, and I'm proud to finally present it to all of you as the final piece in my baroque series. Back in 2012, I came across Dolce & Gabbana's Fall/Winter collection and fell in love. Was it the elaborate craftsmanship so redolent of the Renaissance, or the feminine celebrations of classic culture that caught my eye? I can't know for sure, but what I do know is that Dolce & Gabbana's collection stood out from the crowd.

In my usual DIY spirit, I couldn't resist fashioning my own version of their pieces low budget style. Think rhinestones, plastic pearls, metal flowers and gold braid.  I just have to say that I am super thankful to be living in Hong Kong, a place with the magical DIY treasure trove of Sham Shui Po. Those gold roses were a hard find, and probably wouldn't exist were I somewhere else. For the floral hairband, I took inspiration from a tutorial by Honestly Wtf. And the pièce de résistance, my embellished clutch, was inspired by a tutorial by Swellmayde. I'm proud to say that the end result is actually quite lavish. Though I yearn to own Dolce & Gabbana's beautifully ornate pieces, they are so far out of my budget, and I'm not ashamed of my DIY creations. What can I say... Imitation is flattery.

xo emmy